60 Ways to Market Your Medical Practice
How much does medical practice marketing cost? What should I expect from my marketing budget?
Medical practices are businesses that provide health care services. They include clinics, hospitals, dental offices, and other facilities where patients receive treatment. These establishments often require extensive marketing budgets to attract new clients.
Medical practice marketing costs vary depending on the type of practice, size, location, and target audience. The average annual cost ranges between $25,000-$50,000 per year. Most medical practices spend around 20% of their total revenue on marketing activities.
The following is a list of common ways in which medical practices market themselves:
1. Advertising – This includes print ads, television commercials, radio spots, billboards, direct mail campaigns, and Internet advertising.
2. Marketing materials – This includes brochures, business cards, letterhead, invoices, appointment books, and patient forms.
3. Social media – This includes Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube, blogs, and forums.
4. Public relations – This includes press releases, news articles, and interviews with local media outlets.
5. Referrals – This includes referrals from current patients, former patients, physicians, dentists, nurses, pharmacists, and others.
6. Patient education – This includes webinars, seminars, workshops, and conferences.
7. Electronic medical records (EMRs) – This includes EMR software, hardware, and training.
8. Website design – This includes website content, graphics, and layout.
9. Web hosting – This includes domain registration, email accounts, and website maintenance.
10. Email marketing – This includes newsletters, autoresponders, and other types of emails.
11. Mobile apps – This includes mobile app development and distribution.
12. Telemedicine – This includes telemedicine equipment, systems, and training.
13. Online scheduling – This includes online booking tools, online appointment schedulers, and online payment options.
14. Technology upgrades – This includes technology upgrades such as computerized provider order entry, electronic prescribing, and bar-code scanning.
15. Incentives – This includes incentives for referring doctors, patients, and staff members.
16. Staff training – This includes staff training programs, continuing education courses, and professional certifications.
17. Continuing education – This includes continuing education courses, workshops, and conferences related to medical practice management.
18. Business plan – This includes business plans for expansion or relocation.
19. Financial statements – This includes financial statements for tax purposes.
20. Insurance billing – This includes insurance claims processing, insurance audits, and insurance payments.
21. Licensing – This includes licensing requirements, renewals, and inspections.
22. Legal documents – This includes legal contracts, leases, and agreements.
23. Office supplies – This includes office supplies such as paper, pens, staplers, fax machines, copiers, printers, scanners, and computers.
24. Overhead expenses – This includes overhead expenses such as rent, utilities, insurance, taxes, and employee benefits.
25. Professional liability insurance – This includes professional liability insurance policies.
26. Patient satisfaction surveys – This includes patient satisfaction surveys, questionnaires, and feedback forms.
27. Patient tracking – This includes patient tracking software, patient databases, and patient information systems.
28. Patient referral program – This includes patient referral programs, incentive programs, and rewards programs.
29. Patient retention – This includes patient retention strategies, patient retention programs, and retention bonuses.
30. Patient survey – This includes patient surveys, questionnaires, feedback forms, and focus groups.
31. Patient tracking system – This includes patient tracking systems, patient databases, and information systems.
32. Patient turnover – This includes patient turnover rates, patient turnover strategies, and patient recruitment methods.
33. Patient volume – This includes patient volumes, patient census data, and patient counts.
34. Prescription drug monitoring programs – This includes prescription drug monitoring programs, prescription drug abuse prevention programs, and prescription drug monitoring devices.
35. Revenue cycle management – This includes revenue cycle management strategies, revenue cycle management software, and revenue cycle management solutions.
36. Referral marketing – This includes referral marketing campaigns, referral marketing programs, and referral marketing materials.
37. Risk management – This includes risk management strategies, risk management software, and risk management solutions.
38. Sales force automation – This includes sales force automation strategies, sales force automation software, and sales force automation solutions.
39. Strategic planning – This includes strategic planning processes, strategic planning tools, and strategic planning templates.
40. Tax preparation services – This includes tax preparation services, tax preparation software, and tax preparation software.
41. Training – This includes training programs, training materials, and training resources.
42. Travel arrangements – This includes travel arrangements, travel booking software, and travel booking solutions.
43. Web design – This includes web design, website development, and website design software.
44. Website analytics – This includes website analytics, website traffic analysis, and website traffic analysis software.
45. Workflow optimization – This includes workflow optimization, workflow optimization software, and workflow optimization solutions.
46. Business intelligence – This includes business intelligence, business intelligence software, and business intelligence solutions.
47. Customer relationship management (CRM) – This includes customer relationship management, CRM software, and CRM solutions.
48. Data warehousing – This includes data warehouse, data warehouse software, and data warehouse solutions.
49. Document imaging – This includes document imaging, document imaging software, and document imaging solutions.
50. Electronic medical records (EMR) – This includes electronic medical record, EMR software, and EMR solutions.
51. Enterprise resource planning (ERP) – This includes enterprise resource planning, ERP software, and ERP solutions.
52. Financials – This includes financials, accounting software, and accounting software solutions.
53. Human capital management (HCM) – This includes human capital management, HCM software, and HCM solutions.
54. Information technology (IT) – This includes information technology, IT consulting, and IT consulting software.
55. Legal – This includes legal, law firm management, and legal software.
56. Marketing – This includes marketing, marketing automation, and marketing automation software.
57. Management reporting – This includes management reporting, management reporting software, and management reporting solutions.
58. Network security – This includes network security, network security software, and network security solutions.
59. Patient portal – This includes patient portals, patient portal software, and patient portal solutions.
60. Project management – This includes project management, project management software, and project management solutions.
We’ve compiled a list of 60 tips that we think will improve your medical practices and set them up for long-term success. Let us know if there is anything you’d add to this list!